Law Day Fair hosted for Saskatoon Residents
Grab 15 free minutes with a Lawyer
Spend an afternoon discovering legal information at a Law Day Fair at the Rusty Macdonald Branch Library. Volunteer Lawyers will be on site to provide citizen with free legal information. People must register for the “15 minutes with a lawyer” when they arrive at the fair; spots are limited.
Power of Attorney
What is a power of attorney? How do you give one and what are their duties? CBA Saskatchewan President, Gail Wartman, QC, will discuss the types of powers of attorney, duties of an attorney, ending a power of attorney and misconduct by an attorney.
In addition to a booth display area hosting various legal-related organizations, the afternoon’s schedule of events is as follows:
- ·Welcome (1:30pm)
- Greetings by CBA President, Gail Wartman, QC, on behalf of the CBA Saskatchewan
- Greetings by His Worship Mayor Donald Atchison on behalf of the City of Saskatoon
- Greetings by Judge Douglas Agnew on behalf of the Saskatchewan Provincial Court
- ·An overview of our court system: presented by Judge Douglas Agnew (1:40pm)
- ·“To Tort or Not to Tort – That is the Question”: by Jonathan Abramatz, KMP Law (1:55pm)
- ·Family Matters presentation by the Dispute Resolution Office, the Ministry of Justice (2:10pm)
- ·Saskatoon Police Services - Canine Unit Demonstration (2:30pm)
- ·Saskatoon Police Services - Bike Unit Demonstration (3:00pm)
- ·The importance of a Power of Attorney: presented by Gail Wartman, QC (3:30pm)
- ·A demonstration of the new user friendly family law website by PLEA [familylaw.plea.org] (3:50pm)
- ·Alternatives to Court: presented by Wendy Johnston and Darla Tenold (4:10pm)
The Law Day Fair is an opportunity for the legal profession to promote public awareness of the legal system and an opportunity for citizens to learn more about the application of the law and gain some awareness about legal practices in Canada.
The Canadian Bar Association is dedicated to improving the law and the administration of justice. Some 36,000 lawyers, law teachers and law students from across Canada are members of the Association, with close to 1,150 being members of the Saskatchewan Branch.